What auto insurance is required in North Carolina

North Carolina drivers face the same challenges as drivers in other parts of the country. Driving takes all of your attention, and unfortunately, these days, too many drivers are distracted. It makes having the right kind of auto insurance even more important. Before you hit the road, you need to know you are protected. If you live in Clinton, NC or the surrounding area, Powell’s Insurance is there for you, with 40 years of experience and top carriers. We will make sure you have the coverage you need at a price you can afford. 

In North Carolina, drivers need to have more than just liability auto insurance before they hit the road. They also need to have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. Insurance companies are required by the law to notify the DMV if liability coverage is canceled or if coverage lapses for any reason. The DMV will then send the person a notice to respond within 10 days. Failure to respond could result in the revocation of the registration and other things like late fees and civil penalties. If it a case where you have just changed companies, a copy of the new insurance declaration page can be faxed in as proof. 

The amount of coverage required is 30/60/25. This means $30,000 for injures for a single person in an accident, with $60,000 total for all passengers and $25,000 for property damage. This is basic coverage. It doesn’t mean that you should have only this amount. If you have a significant amount of assets, having more may not be required, but it is a good idea. 

If it’s time to renew your current policy or you are ready for a change, give us a call or stop by our office. At Powell’s Insurance in Clinton, NC, we can help you to be comfortable with the coverage that you choose.